Interesting. Ugh the word streaming rears its ugly head a lot there,
which is sort of misleading but not sure it makes any difference to
their basic argument. Its biased in the sense that its only talking
about actual financial cost to a company right now, as opposed to
actual 'cost' to the internet as a whole in terms of bandwidth used.
P2p as we know it is attractive if you are the one who has to pay the
server bills. The BBC always liked p2p for delivering video, their
early trials used Kontiki's commercial p2p technology. The UK ISPs
were not so keen however, as they were now seeing their networks get
busier in ways they havent properly predicted (sustained user uploading).

There is a real and lovely possibility that p2p is actually a more
efficient way of distributing stuff in terms of internet load &
balance, but this is somewhat obscured by the actual realities of how
the internet & ISPs are presently setup. p2p might be the best
solution for a network that doesnt exist yet, and maybe one should be
built. Maybe ISPs are in the way, maybe we should all be networking in
soe sor tof totally decentralised mesh, and p2p might fit that nicely.
Ive no idea, Im sure there are financial interests in the status quo
that will resist this, and Ive no idea how much more capacity the
internet will actually end up with to handle all this stuff in the
future, if left on its current course.

Cheers

Steve Elbows

"swarmplayer"<http://www.tribler.org/browser/abc/branches/mainbranch/Tribler/Player/swarmplayer.py>which
> is used for the video streaming service is developed in collaboration
> > with the Tribler <http://www.tribler.org/> team from the Technical
> > University Delft and Free University Amsterdam. Tribler is also
working
> > together with the BBC and several other European broadcasters, and
they
> > recently received a $22 million grant for P2P
research<http://torrentfreak.com/eu-invests-22-million-in-next-generation-bittorrent-client/>from
the European Union.