----- Original Message -----
From: "J. Rhett Aultman"
(snip)
> So, now I have two camcorders, and this means that, light conditions
> permitting, I'm doing more multiple-camera stuff.  I just got done
> stitching together most of the footage from my first major multi-camera
> piece, and I've been noticing how much of my time goes syncing up the
> two cameras.  Picking the right camera at the right time?  That's easy.
> But every clip must by synced for both cameras before I can do that.
>
> I'm lucky that this is a sporting event with a lot of referee whistles,
> so I can use that to get two shots in sync, but it's still fairly
> tedious and time consuming.  I'm curious...is there a better way to be
> doing this?  I realize now why it's so much easier to run all the
> cameras to a common control room and have a director calling out the
> camera to switch to.

Another technique is to start both cameras .. and LET THEM BOTH RUN .. until
either the tape runs out or the event is over.

That way you sync up once, at the beginning, and then it should be fine for
the whole tape. Depending on the type of shoot you may end up throwing away
(editing out) a LOT of footage .. but it is a valid technique.

Richard Amirault
Boston, MA, USA
http://n1jdu.org
http://bostonfandom.org