> I've heard a lot of talk of Extended Warranties in this thread so I
> just want to throw in that people should never buy extended
> warranties.  Manufacturing defects will appear within the manufacturer
> warranty period.  The only reason anyone offers an extended warranty
> is because it's a guaranteed money grab.  People buy extended
> warranties because they believe that the odds are in their favour that
> they'll save money in the long run.  This is categorically incorrect.
> The complete opposite is true.

I was of this same opinion and am for most products. Having said that, I
bought one on a laptop once and it paid off. The laptop died due to a heat
issue. I got it replaced without hassle. Because the entire laptop cycle had
revved, I got a newer laptop with current features. The second laptop died
too and that was replaced by the warranty as well, again with a newer laptop
with better features. The lesson learned was I'll never buy Toshiba again,
but if I hadn't had the extended warranty, they would have repaired my
existing laptop, not replaced it.

I also purchased the AppleCare on an iPhone and had it pay off by having the
iPhone swapped out no questions asked.

I still don't buy extended warranties for most things because in many cases
they are overpriced, but in the two cases I've cited here, I'm definitely
ahead of the game for buying them. An extended warranty is an insurance
plan. They are betting most won't pay off to come out ahead. If you buy it,
you're betting it will pay.

Jake Ludington

http://www.jakeludington.com