On Jun 14, 2008, at 5:29 PM, Andrew Darlow wrote:

> I just saw this on Twitter and thought others might like to read this
> very in-depth article by Robert Scoble about how he is using cell
> phone video::
>
> http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/06/14/why-kytetv-will-kill-qik-and-
> flixwagon-in-cell-phone-video-space/
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/5ssot2
>
> Pretty amazing things are happening in the live video space, and I
> really like how Robert explains why he likes features from specific
> services from a power user's perspective.

I've been playing with cellphone video since '05, when I got on this
group.  I later caught on to this group's main intent: production
quality videos.  I'm into iTunes/iPod, since the iPod is a "mobile
media solution" (just like cellphones).

"Agile Mobile Hostile"
-- football term (referring to linebacker)

The problem with cellphone videos is that they don't have that
Quality look, they originate mostly from "pinhole" cameras.
Resolution ~ aperture.  I think that N93 was using a non-pinhole
camera (like from a real video camera).  In low-light conditions, the
pinhole cellphone videos look TERRIBLE: slow frame rates (because of
integrated mode for exposure).  You can compensate this with an
external light.

That Qik.tv video of the Tesla Roadster look choppy & amateurish.
Clients want QUALITY.  I ran into a situation where a client balked.

That article forgot about Blip.tv, it is a generalized solution
(doesn't specifically target cellphone video, but can handle it):

1) production quality videos
distribution points to Facebook, Myspace, Blogger, Wordpress, iTunes,
et al

2) cellphone videos
distribution points to Facebook, Myspace, Blogger, Wordpress, iTunes,
et al
[ I haven't tried it, but it is theoretically possible for Blip.tv to
transcode cellphone videos to iPod/iTunes compatible .mp4..for a near
LIVE delivery to iTunes!!!  See if Kyte or Qik can compete with that. ]

The Flash player Blip.tv has is incredibly KOOL, it really looks like
"Internet TV"

http://corracing.blip.tv
http://score-international.blip.tv/
http://bitd.blip.tv/

I can upload .mp4 videos edited from a Mac (that get to iTUnes) OR
cellphone videos.  The only "hitch" is that Blip.tv can't transcode
my PPC6700 .mp4 to .flv, however it has no problem with my .3g2 Treo
650 cellphone videos.

> # The distribution system that Kyte has built is much better than
> either Qik or Flixwagon. Translation: the embeddable player that
> Kyte.tv has is much better than Qik or Flixwagon, more on that in a
> second.

See Blip.tv, it's distribution points are even better.

> # The chat room that Kyte has built is much better than Qik or
> Flixwagon and can be participated in from other cell phones,
> something that Qik and Flixwagon can’t do.

Strong point.  Other CMS (Content Management System) use a comment
section.  Having "live" commentary is certainly a bump up.

> # The ability to mix videos from your webcam, live videos streaming
> from your web cam, recorded videos from camcorders, or from places
> like YouTube, along with both recorded and streamed videos from
> your cell phone goes way beyond what Qik and Flixwagon have done
> today.

Just like Blip.tv, a *generalized* solution (not just cellphone
videos) increases your market

> # Kyte.tv can play videos on an iPhone today. Neither Qik or
> Flixwagon can do that.
> # Kyte.tv can play videos on a Nokia today. Both from your
> recordings and other people’s. Neither Qik or Flixwagon can do that.

Definitely a plus.  Delivery to mobile-users via cellphone taps into
a HUGE customer demographic.

I don't have an iPhone (but I guess that might change soon), but
doesn't the anticipated Flash functionality mean that the iPhone
could play the Blip.tv Flash presentation (see above)?

Another player was Textamerica.com (which "went away" last Dec
1/2007), which was my preferred LiveWebCast solution back in
2005/2006.  It could take BOTH picture & video uploads.  (Note that
Flickr has finally integrated videos into its solution, in
conjunction with photos).  Textamerica had a really nice Flash
player, for both pics & videos.

After Textamerica.com went away, I went with the Blip.tv (automatic
cross-post to Blogger) & Blogger solution for LiveWebCast of Offroad
Races.  Even the Rose Bowl:

http://www.jumplive.com/08rosebowl/index.html

Note that media rights for Rose Bowl are REALLY TIGHT.  ABC has
exclusive video-rights (fans entering the stadium have their video
cameras "confiscated").  I had to call up the Rose Bowl mgmt, to make
sure I wasn't in conflict.  The head of ABC prime-time programming
called me after the even, so I could discuss Internet Solutions (ESPN
handles that).  It's interesting that Mike Hudack/Blip.tv came from
NHL (must have been ESPN)

> All the best,
>
> Andrew
> Andrew Darlow