Wow, don't I feel silly now! You'd already found it.
If you're using iMovie HD, click on the audio clip in the timeline,
move the playhead to where you want to cut it and press Command T to
cut it.  Then click on the bit you want to delete and press delete.
If you're using iMovie 8, then I'm afraid I have no idea...

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv