My videos promo books. They're called Book Trailers and they are
created to give you a visual "flavor" of the story. They aren't
traditional commercials. They're meant to be fun.

We push the video the month before it is released and then a push
during the first week of sales. The first week of sales is what will
determine where you place on a bestseller list. After that, we leave
the video up for as long as the book is in print.

Our videos continue to get hits years after their initial release. I
know that TubeMogul just did a study on the shelf live of online video-

http://www.tubemogul.com/research/index.php?r=7

But we've been doing some R&D and the data has been interesting. Now I
need to apply that somehow in significance to ROI.

Residual Marketing Effect is what I'm calling promo longevity that
results in purchases long after the initial campaign.(that might have
been redundant...but hey...it's 3AM and I can't sleep...so this is
what I do) For example, we have a video that is 2 years old that
started getting a bunch of hits all of a sudden. We found that someone
saw it, liked it, bought the book and then blogged about how great the
book is. So we see this increase in views that are resulting in purchases.

I want to write a paper on this to tie it into a sort of ROI long
tail, if you will.

My reasoning is that many of our larger clients are paying $15,000 for
a single USA Today national ad and I want to use this information as
part of my overall pitch to have them invest in online video instead.
I can also use it, hopefully, to encourage product placement or
sponsorship.

Has anyone else worked on this kind of data?

Sheila