It's all going to depend on how the 24 mbps AVCHD stream LOOKS. Note
how much computational power is needed for good h.264 encoding when
the computer has the luxury of analyzing an existing set of data. Real
time capture with these temporal codecs is a minefield - even the best
HDV implementations still have trouble, and that's after years of it
being in the field.

But I'm hoping they've nailed it, and anxious to find out.

Not, however, looking forward to having acres of hard drives to shelve
for backup, or to having to transfer everything to two drives after
shooting to have a backup set of media for work in progress. I'm more
excited about the possiblity that this will be an improvement in image
quality over consumer HDV.

Brook

Brook Hinton
film/video/audio art