On Jul 28, 2008, at 1:30 AM, Jan McLaughlin wrote:

> Are you able to access your blogger blog via email message --> post?

Haven't tried that.

Something strange.  I have access to Blogger app to make posts, etc.
I even setup a new blog from here in China:

http://08solareclipse.blogspot.com

[ it's accessible from here in China.   But, why is http://
eclipsechaser.blogspot.com NOT accessible??  Comet-track.com,
Jumplive.com are also not accessible.  Interesting thing, the last 3
URLs that are NOT accessible are the URLs I have been sending to my
Chinese contact..who told me on the day I left that the govt will NOT
be allowing foreigners in xxxx (near Mongolian border) because of
Mongolian-Chinese politics & Olympics security.  Could our emails
have been monitored, & that's why they're banned??  International
intrigue..?? ]

I even setup a Feedburner feed, submitted it to iTunes, got
confirmation from Apple, should be approved tomorrow.

I have now arrived in Hami, am sitting in my Hotel room, & 2 people
in local travel agency are working on getting me a driver/car hire to
take me around to check on observation site.  I have a German friend
(who has permission from xxx Observatory), & we are in touch.  It
should be straighforward to join his group.  Except, his group is
nestled among a TON of people (all over the world).  I prefer an
isolated setting (just me & my driver camping out the night before),
so I can get nice background for photos.  Like I did in Egypt '06:

http://www.caltechscience.com/eclipse/secl06/secl06.html

> Is your cell phone working there?

I brought Samsung ACE (Sprint), which has quad band capability with
SIM card.  Voice is fine.  Data doesn't work (!!)...ARGH! (really
wanted to do mobile blogging).  I assume because the phone is CDMA
data (??), & China uses GPRS data.

I stupidly left my Treo 650 (GSM, unlocked Cingular/ATT) at home, it
probably would have worked.

> Wonder if you could go from computer --> cellphone --> shozu.com --
> > blog?

I plugged my Sprint SIM card back, downloaded Shozu, got it running.
Tried an upload..always got "transmission failed".

So, I'm relegated to same-day updates from Internet at hotel.

Which is OK.  It lessens burden while travelling.

Thanks for the cognizant technical comments.  I DO have Text
messaging with my German friend, so communication technology IS
working to our advantage