Hi everyone:

I may be getting in late on this, so if I am, please bear with me.

First of all, you should NEVER rip your preview video directly into what you
will encode your final draft version into.  This is because (As you just found
out the hard way), if there ARE any technical issues, they can be corrected via
the preview version.

The preview version should ALWAYS be encoded in either AVI (If you have a
Windows machine), MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 formats.  You can then load this version
into just about any application such as TMGEnc or any of the others out there
(I recommend TMPGEnc because its free while the others are either shareware or
payware).

THAT IN MIND THOUGH, you should be aware that....

A).  These programs may not be able to correct *all* of the technical issues
with your video, but they can help in correcting some or most of them.

B).  If the program or programs don't correct ANY of the issues at all, then
more likely than not, the problem lies with the source file on the DVD itself.
Not many applications can encode straight from DVD and still keep the encoded
video bug free (TMPGEnc can only do so much to correct such anomalies).

In any event, once you have your preview version, play it using any player.  If
there are no problems, then simply export it into your final draft MP4 video.

Hope this helps....

Cheers

Pat