Free vloggers should always start at http://freevlog.org

But for your specifics...

Lots of people here use a Rode videomic (approx $100) mounted on top
of their cameras, but that won't work on your IXUS - not least
because it has no mic input jack.  For your needs & budget, a cheap
lapel mic would work.  You'll have to record your audio separately
into your PC and then sync it up.  To make that easier (or at all
possible), use a clapperboard or clap sticks together on camera
before you start talking so that you can see the exact frame where
they meet and easily match it up with the sound of the clap.

You should Google for video lighting tips.  There are many ways to
skin that cat.  For your IXUS, though, you just need good domestic
lights, really.  If you want a more interesting image for your
talking head, try to get lots of separation between you and your
background - give your image some depth, like Epic Fu - rather than
the flat Rocketboom flat earth/desk set.  Of course it'd be even
better with a bigger camera with a better lens (and a Mic input).

You're going to have to spend *some* money on software, if you don't
want a lame app and a lame result.  Sony Vegas sells for about $50 at
the moment, I think, and you can test it out with a 30 day trial.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv