Thanks Rox & Jan :)

We're going to be documenting it all.  If it works, we'll recycle our
tools, documents & process, and create a package template for other
people to use.

On 22-Jan-09, at 6:28 AM, Jan McLaughlin wrote:

Keep us posted, for sure, Rupert.

Fingers crossed for ya!

Jan

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Rupert <rup...@fatgirlinohio.org>
wrote:
> [...]
 > take a share proportional to their investment.
 > Basically just a limited partnership profit-share model.
 >
 > Robert Croma sent me a great book called My First Movie - interviews
 > with famous indie filmmakers about making their first features.
 > The first interview is with the Coen's.
 > They did this for Blood Simple. Made a trailer, then spent a year
 > going to see small businessmen in NY and Minnesota, getting them to
 > invest. They raised $750,000 this way. Just a limited partnership,
 > with the production company as the general partner.
 > Apparently it was the way lots of NY horror movies were made in the
 > 80s - they got the idea from Sam Raimi, who funded The Evil Dead this
 > way, too.
 >
 > I figure that if it worked in the 80s, with these two guys travelling
 > thousands of miles lugging a 35mm projector around from meeting to
 > meeting, it should be even more possible to do now with an internet
 > crowdfunding approach (combined with the same old real-world
 > presentations to local punters).
 >
 > Paying an accountant and a lawyer to set up the legal structure and
 > contract/terms is more costly than bunging up a ChipIn widget,
 > obviously, and not practical if your budget is very small. With
 > larger budgets and projects, getting the odd $10 ChipIn isn't going
 > to cut it - you've got to go out looking for investors. Even if the
 > majority of them are still only putting in $10, it's an extra
 > incentive - this way it's not just a philanthropic donation - there's
 > actually a (small) chance of a return. And you can help build trust
 > and interest at the same time with total online transparency in your
 > production process and budgeting.
 >
 > My main shoot for this will be in November - details of the project
 > to follow when I'm ready.
 >
 > Rupert
 > http://twittervlog.tv
 >
 > On 21-Jan-09, at 4:27 PM, Jay dedman wrote:
 >
 > We cringe and argue about money and videoblogging often on this list.
 > (probably because it's important and always in our face)
 >
 > Here's an example of community funded media projects:
 > http://spot.us/pitches/101
 > David Cohn has done a great job making the site usuable.
 >
 > I've said before that I think the same thing can happen for anyone's
 > videoblog.
 > If you are creating video projects that people care about, they will
 > fund it.
 > You got to hustle just like with anything...but I think it's a great
 > alternative to straight up advertising.
 >
 > Notice that this is more than a Paypal Button on the sidebar.
 > You must actually create a Pitch with a clear explanation of the
 > project, who you are, deliverables, a specific monetary goal, and a
 > timeframe.
 >
 > You probably wont get rich doing this, but you'll make the projects
 > you love and building a body of work.
 > You'll also know if anyone cares since they'll be putting their money

Jan McLaughlin
Production Sound Mixer
air = 862-571-5334
aim = janofsound