Well... as discussed on a local web professionals group that I'm part
of in north Vancouver Island, we're not talking about forgetting IE7
and even IE6 just yet.  They'll be around for a long time.  In
London, almost everyone I knew and worked for had XP and was willing
to install FF and IE7.

Here in the sticks, some people are still on Windows 98.  They
couldn't download new software even if they wanted to. One very
talented local designer said, "Two years ago we had to build a site
that rendered well on Netscape 4 for Mac because that's what our
client used.  We just finished a project where the client was on IE 6
on an 800x600 monitor.  Fair enough, in both cases, but hugely
frustrating and quite limiting."

That kind of compatibility requirement from clients is going to carry
on for years.

One of the things I've realised is that people with really old PCs
running Windows 98 can still see YouTube, even though they can't see
any type of video or video sharing site.  Which just illustrates
YouTube's genius in choosing to stick with their crappy Flash 7 codec.

When all the other video sites were competing in quality and
features, YouTube's priorities were maximum compatibility and not
caring about copyright infringement.  That's what made them win.
They didn't listen to what everybody else was saying was important.
Their site worked for 99% of users, as opposed to the 60 or 70 that
could see Blip because they had to have Flash 8, 9 or 10 installed.
And their site had the clips that people wanted to share - old TV
clips and music videos.

Like with the other discussion about the Flip, even though it was
crappy quality, YouTube *just worked* for everyone, so everyone used it.

On 20-Mar-09, at 11:27 AM, Jay dedman wrote:

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Rupert <rup...@fatgirlinohio.org>
wrote:
 > For all of you who design your own videoblogs, or design sites for
 > other people, this is a red letter day. Internet Explorer with web
 > standards. Many hours of wasted life reclaimed.

Is IE8 really that make of a sea change. Is it like Firefox now?

are we talking about just coding one page for all browsers?

Jay

--
http://ryanishungry.com
http://jaydedman.com