Its interesting. Im not convinced that social networking sites like facebook or
phenomenon such as twitter know how to make money, let alone video providers
with their higher bandwidth costs.

There were a flurry of articles in recent weeks suggesting that Youtube is
trying to get away from user generated content, and do more deals with the
likes of Disney. They would still have user generated content, as a loss-leader
that brings eyeballs to the site, but would be using the premium stuff to try
to generate the big revenues. I half expected some concern about this from this
group, especially as the already limited ability of individuals to promote
themselves effectively via youtube & friends could be further eroded.

Ive little idea where its all going, I certainly worry about sustainability
issues, bandwidth/hosting energy costs, lack of revenue, and Ive always been
very skeptical of the silly numbers that used to get bandied around regarding
potential advertising revenues.

How have text bloggers and blog networks been faring in recent years? And
podcasts for that matter.

Ive forgotten which visionaries used to talk big about the longtail in years
gone by, I wonder what they think now, can anybody point me in the right
direction?

I think I used to wonder whether this whole process would lead to the death of
the ability to make silly money from media, even going as far as to think that
most people will make stuff for the love of it in future, and do some other
work to pay the bills etc. On the other hand I never thought that online music
would utterly destroy the music industry, its changed it somewhat and maybe
changed their revenues a bit, but they seem to have worked out how to use it
for promotion and distribution without totally strangling themselves.

The economies of scale are in a mess, unclear whether the wider economic woes
of our age will mean we never get to see the 'natural conclusion' to this
dramatic change, before the whole model of capital and borrowing against the
future is wiped out by the realisation that we've borrowed against a future
that will never exist.

Cheers

Steve Elbows