I have beat this drum for a long time now.....the lack of competition and
regulation is leading to a growing number of abuses and practices, at least
here in the states...

And while yes, as a private company they can charge whatever they want, as has
been noted numurous times, what continues to happen is in most area's they have
a vitural monolopy and with the FCC rulings in their favor, local muncipalities
have not been able to do anything about arbritary rate hikes, etc.

Almost all of the rules and regulations regarding cable and now broadband are
completely outdated and in most cases don't apply or the rules have never taken
into account the growth of broadband and the new delivery systems....

Not to mention that rural broadband is virtualy non-exsistant or so cost
prohibitated that most people in the country don't even know what "high-speed"
internet is.

That and the fact you have providers who are now also producing and creating
content, will that content be regulated?....you and I know it won't....they
will strike deals or "exclusive contracts" with certain kinds of content or
lock it up altogether and without meaningfull competition, where are we going
to go?  We will be stuck with a take it or leave it attitude and they will be
able to get away with it, because in the end who really cares about us?

We must let ourselves be heard, we must do something now....I firmly believe
this with every fiber of my being....

Heath
http://heathparks.com