I had the same situation with music that I use for my on-going international
dance project called iDance (www.imtv.us). The solution I found that works for
the youtube robot not to be able to distinguish whether the soundtrack is
copyright or not is keeping the street noise in the video that was picked up by
the camcorder mike during filming of an iDance.

Here is a sample of what I did with this video that was blocked by youtube when
I initially uploaded without street noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gjF50Aam3c

In this one I actually found an audio clip from freesound.org that was recorded
on the streets of the Times Square in NYC. Worked like a charm...

It's good to know that youtube only scans 30 seconds into the video for any
copyright music. On my next iDance I will try to keep the street noise only for
the first like 40 seconds into the clip and then fade out that audio track for
the music to come through clean.

Thanks for the idea Jay!