Hi folks,

I probably won't make the conference itself but I am in NYC that week
so if there's a bar you'll be frequenting do let me know :)

Mike

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Michael Verdi <michaelve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm going!
>
> - Verdi
>
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Rupert <rup...@fatgirlinohio.org> wrote:
>> Who's going?
>>
>> On 10-May-09, at 6:34 PM, Jay dedman wrote:
>>
>>> If you've been trying to find an excuse to visit NYC this June, don't
>>> forget about the Open Video Conference. Be a very cool group of folks
>>> coming together. Time to sign up.
>>>
>>> Jay
>>>
>>> _____________________________
>>>
>>> The Open Video Conference (June 19-20 in NYC) is asking big questions
>>> about the future of video online.
>>>
>>> As the medium matures, we face a crossroads: will technology and
>>> public policy support a more participatory culture—one that encourages
>>> and enables free expression and broader cultural engagement? Or will
>>> online video become a glorified TV-on-demand service, a central part
>>> of a permissions-based culture? Web video holds tremendous potential,
>>> but limits on broadband, playback technology, and fair use threaten to
>>> undermine the ability of individuals to engage in dialogues in and
>>> around this new media ecosystem.
>>>
>>> Open Video Conference
>>> June 19-20, 2009
>>> New York City
>>> 40 Washington Square South (NYU Law School)
>>> http://openvideoconference.org
>>>
>>> Bestselling author Clay Shirky will give a talk about the disruptive
>>> effects of the web. Harvard Professor Jonathan Zittrain (TBC) will
>>> moderate a discussion on industry perspectives with Boxee CEO Avner
>>> Ronen, Blip.tv CEO Mike Hudack, and representatives from YouTube and
>>> Adobe. Lizz Winstead, activist and co-creator of The Daily Show, will
>>> discuss web video as political commentary. Legendary hacker Jon Lech
>>> Johansen (DVD Jon) will address data portability. Mozilla, makers of
>>> the Firefox web browser, will highlight what it's doing to cement open
>>> video standards. You'll hear from Anthony Falzone—executive director
>>> at Stanford's Fair Use Project and counsel to graphic artist Shepherd
>>> Fairey—about the new battle lines drawn around fair use. Voices from
>>> the blogosphere, public media, and traditional media will explore the
>>> ways to make their content work in an open video ecosystem, and much
>>> more.
>>>
>>> This is just a peek—have a look at our schedule page for more details:
>>> http://www.openvideoconference.org/agenda
>>>
>>> In addition to two full days of high-profile programming, you can
>>> expect a slate of workshops and behind-the-scenes technical working
>>> groups with leading edge video developers from free software projects
>>> like: VLC, Ogg Theora, GStreamer, Blender, PiTiVi, Miro, Kaltura,
>>> Firefox, and many more. This event should interest anyone with a stake
>>> in art, culture, technology, policy, journalism, or online business.
>>>
>>> Organizers and partners include: Participatory Culture Foundation,
>>> Yale ISP, iCommons, Kaltura, Mozilla, Harvard's Berkman Center, Free
>>> Press, Creative Commons, and more.

> [...]

Mike Atherton

Saying the wrong thing since 1972

Writer | Tech Hipster | 9 Kinds of Wrong

http://www.sizemore.co.uk
http://twitter.com/sizemore

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional