Well, it turns out the solution has been under my nose the whole time!
My current editing software Ulead Video Studio Pro X2 *CAN* edit HD
without too many problems at all on my current (not high end)
hardware.
I found an option in the program preferences called "Smart Proxy"
which was caching(?) video if it was over 720x576 SD. All I did was
disable this and HD editing directly on my 1280x720 MP4 files now
works a treat!
And this is still with all my other programs open in the background, I
haven't optimised my system yet, nor put in more RAM.

Trimming is still not as smooth and instant as SD, but certainly quite
usable now. Previews are seamless.
I'm yet to give it a full run on a blog from start to finish, but
improvement from before.

As a bonus I also found that the output render option for HDV 720p
(25fps) is about 10 times quicker than the previous manual 1280x720
MPEG2 option I was using. So my rendering is now lighting quick as
well.

I still have the hassle of having to convert the outputted 1280x720
MPEG2 into my final 1280x720 MP4, but there are plenty of solutions
for that. MPEG StreamClip is faster than before with this different
output encoding too, so that helps. But I'll look into faster programs
to do this.

So there you have it, YOU CAN edit MP4 files directly on ordinary hardware!

I can film my blog in HD 1280x720 30fps MP4 on my Xacti HD1010 and
copy the MP4 files directly to my drive and drop straight into the
timeline in VS Pro X2 and trim and edit without any conversion or
other messing around. Then just hit the output option which renders
MPEG2 really quickly, and then I convert to MP4 using whatever
standalone program.

Dave.