hi Jenna, to further Rupert's point, are you looking at the videoblogging
projects as well as the in-person-conferences? as I think these have been
quite successful over the years and have participants from different
countries & videoblogging styles. eg the vb-weeks, Vlomo (Navlopomo),
Verdi's 24/24, Rupert's recent vlomo 30/30/30, carp caviar, Jay & Ryanne's
Have Money Will Vlog, etc. others can prob remember more

2009/12/6 RANDY MANN <themaddm...@gmail.com>

> vlogger con 3 boston march 2010
>

> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Rupert
> <rup...@twittervlog.tv<rupert%40twittervlog.tv>>
> wrote:
>
> > This goes to the heart of what videoblogging is, I think.
> >
> > - What is the content?
> > - Why do people do it?
> > - Where do they do it?
> > - How many of them are there?
> > - What do they have in common with each other?
> >
> > The truth is that people are making wildly different types of content
> > and have massively different interests and reasons for doing this.
> > But back in the early days, we all had this huge thing in common,
> > which was that we were early adopters, imagining what the future would
> > look like and how the tech would work. I think that made up the main
> > part of what people would talk about when they met in groups, right?
> > And because there were just a few people around the world, it felt
> > like a special mission, deserving of extraordinary expense and time.
> > Now that future is here and most of the unknowns are pretty much
> > known, that's one massive incentive to meet up that's been removed.
> > The rest of what we do is done online, so travelling hundreds or
> > thousands of miles to hang out and chat in person just doesn't have
> > the same pull.
> >
> > But meeting up to either work on projects or screen things might be
> > different.
> >
> > Still, I notice that most conferences are very local - city-
> > specific. Attracting a larger base of people mostly interested in
> > commercial applications of technology so they can justify taking the
> > day off and expensing the conference fee...
> >
> > So if we were to do more of these kind of things, I think they'd have
> > to be local. (i'm sure this is why VlogEurope has kept going for 5
> > years).
> >
> > Rupert
> > http://twittervlog.tv
> >

> > On 5 Dec 2009, at 19:51, Michael Verdi wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe another part of another not happening is that I think there were
> > > two big motivations (figure stuff out and meet each other in person)
> > > and there's really not a lot of urgency behind them anymore. There's
> > > only so many conferences on the figuring the tech stuff out that you
> > > can have. The information has been pretty well disseminated. I
> > > recently went to a local brown bag coworking session and a few people
> > > were doing a presentation on videoblogging. It was really strange
> > > because it was almost an exact replica of a demo I've given over and
> > > over yet, nobody there had any idea who I was (not that they should).
> > > So it feels like, especially for this group, that that part has been
> > > taken care of. As for the meeting in person aspect, that still happens
> > > but just on a smaller scale at other conferences. I live an hour down
> > > the road from SXSW and a few times in recent years I've just gone up
> > > there to meet people for lunch and dinner. The Open Video Conference
> [...]

http://www.aliak.com
http://www.brisbanedancepartiesarchive.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional