On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Jay dedman <jay.ded...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Recently a fellow filmmaker contacted me about 5min.com. He had concerns
> about them putting his videos on other sites like Bukisa.com and Watchdoit,
> something that wasn't discussed when he gave permission for 5min's to use
> his vids.
> > There are only two sites that I would recommend to video producers with
> regard to ad revenue. Youtube and blinkx. Other sites (like blip.tv) despite
> running ads in my videos, have never returned one cent!
> > As an Australian, dealing with these online video sites (based in
> locations as diverse as Israel and the US) what legal recourse to I >have to
> checking a video sites accounting practices, and withdrawing my content?
>
> These are good questions. I imagine it's all about reputation. Since this
> practice of ad revenue/sharing on videos is relatively new, I imagine that
> people will start talking as they experience each service. Like you're doing
> now. Shady services will wither quickly.
>
> We was just recently invited by Youtube to put ads on some of our videos (I
> guess your video must hit a certain viewer threshold first). As an
> experiment, we went through the process. Funny enough, they sent us an email
> saying we had to prove we owned the video/audio....wanting us to fax signed
> releases. So by accepting their offer for ads, we've put our videos
> existence in jeopardy.

The same thing happened to me recently, my blog videos got so popular
that YouTube invited me to have ad revenue sharing. Incidentally, that
also seems to trigger the enabling of the "Youtube Partner" program
application button. Before this the Partner sign-up page told me I was
not eligible to join.

I used Creative Commons music in my intro (by Incompetech), and I had
to jump through many email approval hoops to get my first video
approved for revenue sharing. It was painful. I must have struck a
clueless monkey at YouTube the first time around, subsequent videos
were duly processed without too much fuss.
In fact YouTube use Incompetech as an example in their Partner
tutorial as to what you are allowed to use!

So now I'm a "Youtube Partner" and have the option to enable revenue
sharing every time I upload a video. The downside is that if you use
*anything* that is not your own original content, even if you have
permission or it's CC, you have to tick a box that says you do not own
the rights for *every video you upload*. You then have to explain in
detail and provide links or others references to prove you have the
rights.

I'm glad I'm the only person in my blog, otherwise strictly speaking
I'd need written approval from every person who appears.

It was all too much trouble, so I ditched my CC intro music until I
can create something myself.

But I still have to explain that I own all rights to my content for
*every* video I now upload. But at least I can tick "NO" to all the
content boxes, so in this case I think it doesn't get assessed by a
human.

> We emailed back that we shot the video and used CC-licensed music (which is
> listed in the credits). Sent them links to the audio and the license. Have
> not heard back. Hopefully they dont take down our video. They are putting
> quite a few
>
> I'm really skeptical of advertising in videos. Not out of moral issues....I
> just cant believe it's an effective payback for sponsors. Is any one here
> making any kind of money at all from ads on their videos?

It takes some months for Youtube data to filter through to Adsense
when you first join, but as an example, this month "AdSense for
Content Host" revenue on my blog is around 20% of my total ad revenue
across all my sites.
I got 85 clicks from 15,000 ad impressions. So the revenue is significant.
I believe that is only for the overlay ads on Youtube, it does not
include the side bar ads which have not filtered through yet, as it
shows "no data" for the "Youtube" part in Adsense.

Dave.