First of all I'm extremely pleased to hear the news. High hopes.

That said I was just reading the comments over on DIgg.

http://digg.com/linux_unix/The_Creators_Of_VLC_Are_Going_To_Release_A_Video_Editor

While I absolutely love VLC I have to agree with the commenter that points
out that it's not exactly known for having the best user interface.

Beyond the basic navigation in fact it's UI is downright cryptic.

Even it's playlist functions are completely disfunctional. Don't even get me
started on the preferences.

Then again what VLC has done is some amazing reverse engineering all types
of cryptic codecs and hacking them into a user interface so they all play
and are controlled consistently.

If nothing else the fact that VLC is creating a sort of API... or at least a
code base with which to edit and transcode these myriad of codecs will
gradually trickle into other video editors. It may just be the thing that
has been holding back open source video editing at large.

BTW, there's a screen cast on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02vdwNsvbZI

BTW, is anyone involved in Android development?  I just recently attended
the first ever Mobile Monday meeting in Ann Arbor, MI.  I'm thinking Android
is a chance to fullfill much of the promise and vision where the old Nokia
N-series and more recently the i-Phone failed.

In many ways we're already there... the ability to shoot video and post it
directly to the web somewhere and "twitter" it... as a means of everyday
communication with your friends and family.  But there is still much to be
desired in the fluidity of everyday one to many video communications.

Peace,

-Mike