On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Tom Dolan <tomjdo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Vid-folk,
>
> I had an interesting idea and I want to run it by you. A local but
> large pro camera shop might take in trade, a complete Pentax 35mm
> outfit. Xcellent condition, lenses, motor, etc... towards something
> else. I won't get what I think it's worth but I might be offered enuf
> to let it go. Now,
>
> Here's the conundrum: at different price levels starting lo and ending
> at about $6/800..(OK so I'm optimistic), what would you suggest I
> consider? It's got to work with iMac-iMovie'09, have an external mic,
> and I prefer flash memory over tape/hard-drive. BTW, I was surprised
> to see a Sanyo model mentioned here several times. I don't see them
> featured on the review sites, usually the same canon/sony/pana/etc
> stuff. My 1st 16mm camera was a Sanyo and it was pretty good.
>
> So what video cameras would YOU trade the 35mm system for? and I'm not
> into the Flip style camera for now.
>
> Go for it...and Thanx.
>
> Tom Dolan
> tomjdo...@gmail.com

The Sanyo Xacti HD2000 or HD1010 is by far the best bang-per buck in
that sort of price range, I am yet to see anything that comes close.
You don't see it promoted on the review sites because the "gun style"
form factor makes it look like a toy, but it far from it. In terms of
performance and features it gives any other brand camcorder at double
a triple the price a run for it's money.
That price would get you an Xacti HD flash camcorder, an external Rode
Videomic, and accessories.

The video quality, lens speed, and sensor size are hard to beat for
the price. It takes external mic, hot shoe, and lens attachments. Lack
of optical image stabilisation is the only real downside.

Dave.