----- Original Message -----
From: "Cris Thomas"

> I am looking for a traditional hand held microphone to use for
> man-on-the-street news interviews. Everything I can find is either an XLR
> mic or a toy.
>
> I have a Panasonic TM300 which is a nice small camera but has a
> traditional 1/4 microphone jack. I know there are XLR converters which
> would be fine but all the ones I have seen are super huge and bulky, which
> kind of defeats the purpose of the small camera.
>
> So can anyone suggest a decent microphone with the right connector or a
> small XLR converter? Thanks.

I *seriously* doubt your camcorder has a "1/4 mic jack"  ... most likely
it's a 1/8" jack.  How about something like this for an adaptor..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/158476-REG/Hosa_Technology_XVM_101F_Mini_Stereo_Male_to.html

(search for Hosa XVM 101F at bhphotovideo.com if link is broken) You'd need
to add a regular XLR mic cable to reach from your subject to the camera and
you'd need to use a dynamic mic or a condensor mic with a built-in battery
since you won't have phantom power with this setup.

Richard Amirault
Boston, MA, USA
http://n1jdu.org
http://bostonfandom.org