On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Tom Dolan <tomjdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Group-folk,
>
> In preparation for a visit to the photo shop next week, I'd like to
> run some features by you and pleze comment if you can. I'll be
> shooting for the web, to put in web sites, mine and maybe others. I'll
> edit in iMovie'09 on an intel iMac.
>
> I've been thinking future=Flash memory, but many Tape cameras are
> still made like the VIXIA HV40. Is Tape worth considering??

Not in my opinion.
I switched from tape to Flash not too long ago and would never look back.
No more rewinding, no more waiting 10 minutes to upload 10 minutes
worth of video in real-time via firewire.
Instant clip replay and delete.
And with Flash I just take out my SD card, copy the files, and pop
straight into the timeline in my video editor. Nothing could be
easier.

> People complain about motor noise in the audio. How will I know if the
> motor noise is being captured or not? Will an in store test tell me?

Maybe not, you will have a hard time hearing it with the inbuilt or PC
speakers. To hear it properly you will need to take padded fully
enclosed headphones which have the required dynamic range.

> Is AVCHD difficult to work with/download.....and finally is HD
> necessary or preferable for web viewing?

Now that Youtube supports 720p HD well, I think it's worth filming and
uploading your content in 1280x720. Users can then chose 360p, 480p,
or 720p from the dropdown box (a new feature on Youtube just this
week)

See previous threads about me trying to edit 1280x720 HD MP4 directly
in Ulead Video Studio. It works fairly well for me now, but generally
speaking editing any form of MP4 HD direct may  give you trouble

> BTW, the Sanyo specs look good but the form factor discourages me.

After using it for a while I like it. Works well on a tripod, and is
easy and natural to hold when filming handheld.

Dave.