TOTALLY disagree, but you know this already from earlier discussions.

You are doing a very different kind of videoblog from what most people
do - it's great that you love doing it in HD, but I really really
strongly disagree that "Any video blogger who is filming and/or
uploading in 320x240 only is doing their effort a real disservice I
think."

As for "If you follow that logic to its logical conclusion, then why
have a video blog at all?, why not just an audio podcast? Or at least
why not 160x120 for even more bandwidth saving and speed?" -
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

As someone who has posted hundreds of videos in 320x240 for just short
of 5 years now, I'm not a podcaster.   320x240 videos are clearly
visible and can be *great* quality - unlike 160x120.   Remember, TV is
only 480 lines high.

It's about the *content*, not the size of the window or the number of
pixels.  Particularly for videoblogging.  And there's actually a lot
of benefit to be had from working with lofi, non HD technology - apart
from aesthetically, there are benefits for file storage, cutting,
upload and transmission.

Especially when most people watch most video embedded somewhere
between 320 and 640.

For a whole bunch of reasons, I wouldn't be videoblogging if I had to
do everything in HD.  I'm still posting 320x240 via 12seconds every
day - and other people may not see the point in what I do, but I love
it.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv

On 10 Feb 2010, at 07:49, David Jones wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:19 PM, adammerc...@att.net
> <adammerc...@att.net> wrote:
> >
> > Call me old school, but I still publish my vlog in 320x240. For a
> couple of reasons. My old Flip shoots at 640x480 and at the native
> size its pretty crummy. Scaled to quarter screen it tightens up and
> cleans up the noise considerably.
> >
> > Also theres nothing in my vlog that needs to be seen at HD
> resolution. Waste of bandwidth.
>
> If you follow that logic to its logical conclusion, then why have a
> video blog at all?, why not just an audio podcast?
> Or at least why not 160x120 for even more bandwidth saving and speed?
>
> A video blog should be all about the video (ok audio is super
> important too, but beside the point), the bigger and more glorious the
> source material the better. Try watching 320x240 full screen...
> I know people who watch my video blog like a TV show and put it on
> full screen while having their breakfast etc.
>
> The beauty of modern hosts like YouTube are that it offers whatever
> resolution the user desires. Defaults to 360p to save bandwidth, but
> offers selectable 480p, 720p, or higher for those who chose it.
> I now always shoot and upload in 1280x720 because:
> a) I have the camera that can do it
> b) People have different needs (and bandwidth isn't an issue for
> probably the majority of people these days)
> c) And you never know what the future holds. I didn't want to look
> back in a few years and wish I had shot those previous hundred
> episodes in HD for whatever reason.
>
> Any video blogger who is filming and/or uploading in 320x240 only is
> doing their effort a real disservice I think.
> My $400 HD cam was the best money I ever spent.
>
> Dave.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: