Adam M: "Its interesting and exciting to see progress made with these tools,
but I still dont quite get the whole open source movement. Why is it such a
big deal, especially in regards to web video? Or any content for that
matter?"

Adam/All:
I am in the same boat; with similar sentiment. Though perhaps more because I
don't understand the core mechanisms of how the technical details, affect my
efforts (potentially or actually) -- hence, bottom-line. But then I've
mostly found heavy detail on the techno side distracting, in that I haven't
felt every why and wherefore is necessary for grasping functionality.

In order to use a microwave oven (a tool), for example, I needn't know every
detail of HOW radiant heat is generated; only that pressing button X in
combination with Z, then start, produces a desired result. And if I discover
a need to nuke with greater efficiency, then wattage might be an ancillary
consideration.

Granted this may be a simplistic view, but until those in-the-know espalne
to the technically challenged (like me) why we should care about the
technominutia? I am more of a mind to believe whatever future technology
will work itself out, to the extent of mass simplification for Neanderthals
like me. ...Click here; this happens, equaling desired result. :D

Perhaps I'm mistaken in not caring about the detail, and am open for
correction.

Mark Villaseñor,
http://www.TailTrex.tv
Canine Adventures For Charity - sm