Hi Ciara,

Thanks for your response.

I wrote:
1. Material not being there when the faculty/students need it (and the
expectation by same that it will be there).

You responded:
- Use the booking module in your ILS. Works with ILL to show an item is
unavailable for lending if the item is booked. Also trains up the
professors to request films in advance (at the beginning of the semester

when they have it on their syllabus - woah!) rather than waiting until
the last minute.

My response to you:
We use another method other than the booking module to indicate if an
item is on reserve so I am not worried about items already on reserve
being sent to another institution. I find your second sentence almost
offensive. We spend lots of time "training" faculty how to use our
system to their advantage. The library is here first and foremost to
provide material to the students and faculty at our University and if we
can meet the needs of other institutions without shortchanging our own,
we should do it. Working in reserve I know firsthand just what Johnny
come lately faculty can be BUT they are very busy and have a lot of
demands on their time, most of which we have no direct experience with,
and sometimes which they cannot help. I often get frantic requests from
faculty or adjuncts who have been asked to teach a class at the last
minute to fill in for an illness or an unexpected resignation. They also
might get information from a colleague or at conference about a film
they weren't aware of that greatly enhances their course content. We are
providers of resources and need to accommodate our clients' needs as
best we can and not tell them how to do their job.

I wrote:
2. Transit and/or user damage.

You responded:
- Same as with any other ILL material. The library that asked for the
loan pays. Why is a media item different from a book in this case?
Perhaps more expensive media will not be eligible for ILL. Or if an item

is very heavily used, buy another copy and only loan 1.

My response to you:
Media is different as it is generally more expensive and can be harder
to locate. A particular class session can be taught when a book isn't
there but it is impossible to have a class screening without the media.
Also, in many (most?) cases, the entire book is not needed for any one
class so pages needed can scanned and shipped electronically thus
depriving no one of the material. And why should we bear the cost of
purchasing a copy to loan? Just doesn't make sense.

I wrote:
5. A growing trend for placing media on Reserve. We currently process
about 800 titles per year, thus ramping up #8 (competition for media
resources between reserve and ILL).

You responded:
Often reserve items sit all semester. If it can sit for the time period
needed (the week before and after it is shown in class, for example) it
would be more available for loan.

My response to you:
Media is used for more than just classroom showings. Sometimes it's just
that but our faculty may put material on reserve as reference or so that
all students have access to it to do papers and assignments or to prep
for the final exam. Sometimes both in class screenings and individual
work are required. Even though material is on reserve it is available to
all patrons for a 3 hour loan except on the date reserved for a
screening.

I wrote:
Competing uses - ILL and reciprocal borrowing vs. need for the
collection to be available to classes.

You responded:
- How is it different for media than for books in this same situation?

My response to you:
Media is different,  you cannot scan the "pages" you need from the media
and send the rest to be loaned or vice versa. And, as mentioned above,
you can have a particular class session without the book but you can't
have a class screening without the media.

It is a classic case of competition for resources and we will best serve
each other, our local patrons, and those of other institutions if we
look for innovative ways to make this work for both Reserve and ILL
clients instead of blaming the faculty for impeding ILL sharing because
they expect to be able to use the resources of their own library.

Regards,
Jo Ann

Jo Ann Reynolds
Reserve Services Coordinator
University of Connecticut
Homer Babbidge Library
Storrs,  CT
860-486-1406
jo_ann.reyno...@uconn.edu

Question Reality

1. Material not being there when the faculty/students need it (and the
expectation by same that it will be there).

- Use the booking module in your ILS. Works with ILL to show an item is
unavailable for lending if the item is booked. Also trains up the
professors to request films in advance (at the beginning of the semester

when they have it on their syllabus - woah!) rather than waiting until
the last minute.

2. Transit and/or user damage.

- Same as with any other ILL material. The library that asked for the
loan pays. Why is a media item different from a book in this case?
Perhaps more expensive media will not be eligible for ILL. Or if an item

is very heavily used, buy another copy and only loan 1.

3. Lost/missing/long overdue items.

- Same as above. ILL already has procedure in place.

4. Re items 2 & 3, impact on hard to find/impossible to replace items.

- Some don't loan these for this reason. Like a rare book or something
from the archives may not loan.

5. A growing trend for placing media on Reserve. We currently process
about 800 titles per year, thus ramping up #8.

Often reserve items sit all semester. If it can sit for the time period
needed (the week before and after it is shown in class, for example) it
would be more available for loan.

Competing uses - ILL and reciprocal borrowing vs. need for the
collection to be available to classes.
- How is it different for media than for books in this same situation?

http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/rts/vrt/professionalresources/vrtresources/
interlibraryloan.cfm

Ciara Healy
Outreach Librarian
Polk Library
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
(920) 424-7329
Twitter: polklibrary
Facebook: Polk Library, UW Oshkosh

Jo Ann Reynolds wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> UConn is mulling over opening up the media collection to a wider
> interlibrary loan audience.
>
> ILL staff states: " Currently, the HBL only lends DVD and VHS media to

> CTW consortium members, Regional Campus Libraries, and BLC [Boston
> Library Consortium] libraries. Since ILL transactions are based upon
> reciprocity, this restriction is effecting our ability to borrow media

> from other libraries for our users. Opening the HBL media collection
> to unrestricting lending (at the discretion of the Interlibrary
> Lending Librarian) will enable us to better serve our users."
>
> We no longer have a media library and our media collection is open
> stacks and accessible to patrons. The regular loan period is seven
> days to all patrons. Reserve loans are 3 hour, longer for faculty who
> placed item on reserve.
>
> I am responsible for all types of reserve material for classes -
> books, purls, scans, personal copies, media, and streaming media - at
> the main campus. We serve apx. 31,000 enrollees in 900 courses at all
> campuses.
>
> I'm pretty sure this is going to happen and I am curious as to how
> other libraries handle this issue.
>
> Concerns for me are:
>
> 1. Material not being there when the faculty/students need it (and the

> expectation by same that it will be there).
>
> 2. Transit and/or user damage.
>
> 3. Lost/missing/long overdue items.
>
> 4. Re items 2 & 3, impact on hard to find/impossible to replace items.
>
> 5. A growing trend for placing media on Reserve. We currently process
> about 800 titles per year, thus ramping up #8.
>
> 6. Competing uses - ILL and reciprocal borrowing vs. need for the
> collection to be available to classes.
>
> For those with experience in either ILL and/or course reserves:
>
> 1. How do you handle this issue of competing resources?
>
> 2. Are damaged items/no returns/long overdues problems?
>
> 3. If you do loan out your media collection via ILL, how's that
working?

> 4. What other solutions can you suggest, e.g. using ILL requests as
> purchase requests and/or placing heavily used items on permanent
reserve?

> Thanks in advance for your input.
>
> Jo Ann
>
> Jo Ann Reynolds