I've tried it at the airport after watching a guy with an iPhone scan in
his QR boarding pass. But my cell phone image was so fuzzy it didn't work.

But I think it has use in a library setting -- imagine sitting down at a
kiosk (hmm, let's say a video theatre since this is a fantasy anyway)
and "flashing" your QR code, when what to one's wondering eyes does
appear but the lights dimming and Ida Lupino strolling into focus. Or a
video on how dolphins will save the planet -- whatever fits.

I think primarily these are a great development because they can carry
both information and instructions, actions, etc.

Randal Baier