From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jana Atkins
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 9:52 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Friday question (on a Wednesday)

And with that example, We Are Marshall is another good mention for the
same reason.  There's the new coach who has to build a team AND convince
the University President to make it happen.  There's the President, who
has to decide if a new team is a good idea as well as lead the
university through the tragedy.  There's the Physical Plant director who
appears to be on the Board of Regents (?).  And there's the surviving
team member who becomes the new team captain and pushes from the
beginning to rebuild the team.  I think the President provides an
interesting example of weak and/or hesitant leadership.

Forrest Gump's Lieutenant Dan is a good one, although a bit subtle.

And I like Glory Road - trying to build a basketball program with black
players in far West Texas (El Paso) - at a time when only white guys
played college ball.  I think my favorite part of that was when the
coach decided to let the players try things their own way, with
incredible success.  He was a strong leader, but willing to accept ideas
from the "grunts."