Hi

Well, if they'll sell it to you at home video prices, take it.

Copyright law allows the use of copyrighted materials in valid,
face-to-face teaching.  In other words, anything in the home video market
(stuff sold via amazon, etc.) can be used in the service of teaching
without having to pop for public performance rights..or any other kind of
right.

In many instances, distributors will try to foist higher prices on buyers
on the false contention that classroom screening requires popping for the
higher priced version of a film.  That's simply not true.  Can they
require all institutions (regardless of type of use) to pay more than
individuals--yeah, they can.  That's commerce for you...not copyright law.
(This is what Jessica means by "tiered pricing":  individuals get off
cheap and institutions get it stuck to them)

Bottom line:  if they'll sell to you at home video prices, and if all
you're doing is circulating the stuff for classroom screening or on-site
use, go for it.

Gary Handman

> Hello all,
>
> I know most of you are librarians in a University setting, but I have a
> question about educational media that is used in a K-12 classroom
> environment.
>
> We just realized that a company that markets educational materials to K-12
> teachers is selling a HOME DVD to be used in the classroom (for the much
> lower price of $30). Based on what I know about educational rights and
> materials, this appears to be wrong. Don't they have to sell the K-12
> educational version to teachers (if they are distinctly marketing the
> materials to be used IN the classroom)?
>
> I would love your thoughts and/or suggestions of resources where I can
> find
> out more about this.
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> Kristin