>From Jeff Pearson, Univ of Michigan Ann Arbor...

From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Meghann Matwichuk
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2010 2:32 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Media in Book Drops

Hello Everyone and Happy Friday!  The issue of placing AV material in bookdrops
has come up at my library, and I wanted to put out a quick, informal survey to
my fellow VidLibbers in academic libraries to pose a few questions...

1) Do you allow for the return of AV materials (DVDs, VHS, etc.) via book drop?
 If not, what are your reasons for not doing so?

Yes. We're on a second floor, and we have a drop next to the undergraduate lib
circ desk on the first floor.

2) If you do allow return of AV materials via book drop, do you have a separate
book drop dedicated to media?

Yes.

3) If you do allow use of (or have allowed use of in the past) of a book drop
for media return, what (if any) challenges / problems have you encountered?

No real problems. The students visit more damage to the material than a drop
box could ever do. The drop is an important service for our patrons; the UGL is
open many more hours than we are.

Many thanks in advance for your time,

Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
Associate Librarian