All good points, Dennis...I adore 16mm (and 35 and 70...)

However:

Consider this:  UC Berkeley, one of the premiere educational institutions
in the world, does not have a single, working 16mm projector on campus
(the PFA doesn't count...they're a world unto their own).
I'm sure I'm not alone.

For institutions that  vestigal collections of non-theatrical 16mm,  the
options are often try to re-buy (which is almost NEVER possible, given the
age of most of these) or saying, "Sorry!" and letter the 16mm rot stew in
vinegar.

We ain't talking about film studies here, really...

gary