The Music Library Association's copyright page has a good summary of
copyright law governing pre-1972 sound recordings at
http://copyright.musiclibraryassoc.org/Resources/AudioPreservationAndAccess
, under the section titled "Discussion."

The post below is correct; pre-1972 sound recordings are covered by state
law, effectively New York State law.

The cutoff date is 1972, not 1976, as that's when Congress passed a law
including sound recordings under federal copyright, as per the footnote in
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ56.pdf
Pamela Bristah, Music Librarian, Wellesley College, 106 Central Street,
Wellesley MA 02481
phone 781-283-2076, fax 781-283-2869, pbris...@wellesley.edu

videolib@lists.berkeley.edu on Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 1:39 PM