From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of McKenzie, Rue
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:00 PM
To: 'videolib@lists.berkeley.edu'
Subject: [Videolib] Academic Libraries with Genocide Collections in Media

Hi everyone.

I am beginning an assessment of our Library's media collection dealing with
genocide (in very broad terms).  I feel we have a relatively strong collection
both in content and accessibility, and this area is an ongoing collection
development focal point for me.   As a very preliminary starting point, I would
greatly appreciate hearing from other academic libraries regarding the
following:

  *   Does your institution have an identified program in Genocide Studies
and/or a Genocide Studies Center?
  *   If so, does the Library purchase media materials in support of Genocide
Studies, and are these materials a part of the Library's general media
collection?  (as opposed to a closed, departmental, or special collection)
  *   Are these materials cataloged and available in your OPAC?  Do they
circulate?
  *   How is your institution's library system arranged?  The USF Tampa Campus
has a centralized library as opposed to official Departmental, School, College
or Graduate/Undergraduate individual libraries across the campus.

Ultimately my assessment will include comparative reports using tools such as
WorldCat Collection Analysis as appropriate.   And I will be also be looking at
the identification of vendors handling this type of content.  I'm aware of
many, but it's a 'big world' out there.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Rue
Rue McKenzie
Coordinator of Media Collections
Academic Resources
University of South Florida, Tampa Library
813-974-6342
[cid:image001.jpg@01CB712A.E1B85430]

<<inline: image001.jpg>>