From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Shoaf,Judith P
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 1:32 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] PAL permissions question

I wrote:  (I remember the dismay of one instructor over her washed-out
copy-again, VHS).

Just to clarify, at that time (mid-90s)the media library had a policy of
converting a tape in its collection but (in principle) destroying the
original so that a purchased tape was replaced by the converted tape. I
briefly took over the Media Library around 1999 and found that there was a
big pile of PAL or SECAM originals that had been converted but not tossed.
I pulled the NTSC copies and replaced them with the originals, adding
information about how to get a multi-standard player from classroom
support.

As I said, multi-standard DVD players are very common now and include ALL
computer DVD drives (at least I think so).

Judy Shoaf