Hi...your making my brain hurt, Susan

A lot of this kind of stuff boils down to risk assessment.  If it were me,
I'd show the damn thing and be done with it. It seems to me that your
good-faith efforts are good enough for your particular situation  (Save
your paper trail, though)

Gary

> Looks like we're a chatty bunch today.  Let me add, if I might, a
> hypothetical for the collective wisdom that is videolib.
>
> Let's say a campus's multicultural concerns committee (or some such
> entity) wishes to hold a faculty development session.  Said session will
> be closed, attended by 20 or so faculty members, with an outside guest
> speaker who likes to utilize a short film in his sessions.  Let's say this
> somewhat-more-than-just-a-clip short isn't commercially available.  In
> fact, it's been produced by a news agency... say, someplace like CNN.
> You, as the media person, get tasked with determining whether this item
> can be purchased, whether rights are needed for it to be used in the
> session and, if so, whether rights can be arranged for an off-air
> recording if the item cannot be purchased.
>
> You with me so far?
>
> Now let's say you attempt, via email and phone, to contact the licensing
> folks at said news agency, you receive an absolutely worthless email in
> response which totally misses your point, and that in response to your
> phone inquiry, you are instructed to fax a request form.  You do fax this
> form... and you wait... for a month.  You fax it again and still receive
> no response.
>
> So, anyone want to take on any part of this:
> The need for rights in a case like this?
> The appropriateness of using of an off-air if no copy is commercially
> available?
> How the hell you get rights people to respond to requests?
> What a reasonable timeframe ought to be or, correspondingly, what
> constitutes a good faith effort?
> How one encourages faculty to continue to try to do things the
> right/proper/legal way when doing so leads nowhere?
>
> All hypothetically, of course.
>
> Susan at Wabash
>

> Susan Albrecht
> Library Acquisitions Manager
> Wabash College Lilly Library
> 765-361-6216
> 765-361-6295 fax

> "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." --Neil Peart

Director
Media Resources Center
Moffitt Library
UC Berkeley