Hi Reno and welcome to the list

Unfortunately, I don't think your project would have any legal--i.e. fair
use--leg to stand on whatsoever, snippit or not...  It's one thing to
extract a limited number of short clips for use in educational or
scholarly contexts; it's another thing altogether to regularly compile and
distribute such clips to the public at large.  Your project sounds
interesting, but I think it would put you and your library on very thin
ice.

Gary Handman

> Hi there,
>

> Greetings everyone, my name is Reno, and I am a
> media librarian at the Port Washington Public Library in NY.  This is my
> first post, so thanks much for letting me participate in your forum.
> Below is a question about a music sampler CD project
> that I am working on…..since this list is entitled “Videolib”, I hope that
> I am not too far off the general subject……if so, you can let me know, no
> hard
> feelings.
>

> I was wondering if anyone might have some
> feedback on the following issue: I’d like to create and offer a bi-monthly
> music sampler CD that would contain ten songs – all by different artists –
> expose our patrons to our newly acquired music.  I am planning to offer
> these sampler discs for loan on the honor system here at the Port Library.
>   Currently, I am researching the possible implications of doing so,
> specifically whether or not any legal issues would arise.  Someone I spoke
> to suspects that one of the major “sticking points” would be the
> reproduction
> of a work (song) in its entirety without royalties being addressed.
>   He then suggested a possible compromise – instead of entire songs,
> I could offer snippets of songs (30 to 60 seconds perhaps).  Any idea
> whether the copyright laws would permit the “snippets”?  Any suggestions
> on what my next steps should be? (i.e., speak with library’s legal
> counsel…etc.)
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Reno Bracchi
>
> Librarian - Media Department
>
> Port Washington Public Library, NY
>

>                                         VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the
> broad and lively
> discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation,
> acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of
> current and evolving video formats in libraries and related
> institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an
> effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a
> channel of communication between libraries,educational
> institutions, and video producers and distributors.

Gary Handman
Director
Media Resources Center
Moffitt Library