Hi Rue

We do not have a defined program in Genocide Studies, although there is
obviously a great interest in various other disciplines/programs (Jewish
Studies. African Studies, Slavic and Eastern European Studies, etc. etc.

I buy heavily in this area:  see, for eg:
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/JewishVid.html#holocaust
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/AfricanVid2.html#Rwanda

Like everything else in MRC, we give full-tilt cataloging and stuff
appears in both our OPAC and MRC's web site.  Materials circulate for 2
days for faculty and grad instructors; everyone else has to watch them in
MRC.

Most of the book material appropriate for this area is acquired for the
Main (Doe) Library on campus.  All of the media is in MRC.

I think trying to identify individual vendors for this material is going
to be problematic--it's pretty scattered to the winds.  The usual
suspects--Filmmakers and Icarus in particular--have relevant titles.

For instance, the vast majority of Jewish Holocaust titles and a fair
number of Rwandan titles in MRC were bought via the home video market.
Ergo Media, which specializes in Jewish topics
(http://www.jewishvideo.com/), is also a good source.

For films on the Armenian Genocide, check out the Armenian Film Foundation
http://www.armenianfilm.org/

If you'll be building a web presence, don't forget the Fortunoff Archive
for Holocaust Testimony (http://www.library.yale.edu/testimonies/) and the
Spielberg Film and Video Archive:
http://resources.ushmm.org/film/search/index.php

Good luck!

gary

> Hi everyone.
>
> I am beginning an assessment of our Library's media collection dealing
> with genocide (in very broad terms).  I feel we have a relatively strong
> collection both in content and accessibility, and this area is an ongoing
> collection development focal point for me.   As a very preliminary
> starting point, I would greatly appreciate hearing from other academic
> libraries regarding the following:
>
> *       Does your institution have an identified program in Genocide
> Studies and/or a Genocide Studies Center?
> *       If so, does the Library purchase media materials in support of
> Genocide Studies, and are these materials a part of the Library's general
> media collection?  (as opposed to a closed, departmental, or special
> collection)
> *       Are these materials cataloged and available in your OPAC?  Do they
> circulate?
> *       How is your institution's library system arranged?  The USF Tampa
> Campus has a centralized library as opposed to official Departmental,
> School, College or Graduate/Undergraduate individual libraries across the
> campus.
>
> Ultimately my assessment will include comparative reports using tools such
> as WorldCat Collection Analysis as appropriate.   And I will be also be
> looking at the identification of vendors handling this type of content.
> I'm aware of many, but it's a 'big world' out there.
>
> Any and all information is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Director
Media Resources Center
Moffitt Library
UC Berkeley