These films have owners, either in Turkey or in Europe. It will take time to
track them and money to pay them off.
As someone who has worked on the distribution of foreign films in the US for
many years I don't go for the idea that since a film does not have a US
distributor we can just show it (I am NOT saying you want to do this)
The best way to track the owners is probably to find the original review in
Variety which will list producers and production company and start googling.
YOL was in fact distributed for many years by Sony. Up until a few years ago
they did still own it. It might be worth asking Swank to double check for
you.

I would ask the students to work on tracking down the rights holders and
contacting them. I assure you all of them have a legit rights holder.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:39 PM, King, Diana L. <dik...@library.ucla.edu>wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> I’m querying the collective wisdom of the list to see if there are any
> thoughts on the best way to approach this. A Turkish student group asked me
> recently about the rights issues connected to screening some films (all
> features from Turkey) just on campus (no charge). These aren’t titles in the
> collection—they are available mostly in some very specific video stores and
> from online sellers. They are all region 2 DVDs or PAL VHS, and seem to have
> no U.S. distributor. An example is Yol (1982):
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084934/
>

> The group really does want to do the right thing and obtain the rights to
> show the films outside the classroom, but I’ve reached the extent of my
> knowledge about this since it isn’t a regular part of my job. We’ve checked
> a lot of the major U.S. sources like Swank, etc., and there’s no indication
> that any of the titles they are interested in are covered by an American
> vendor. What would be the best advice for them on this?
>

> Thanks for any insight,
>
> Diana
>

> Diana King
> Librarian for Film, Television and Theater
> UCLA Arts Library |1400 Public Affairs Building | Box 951392 | Los
> Angeles, CA 90095-1392
> *Telephone*: 310-206-4823 | *Fax*: 310-825-1303 | *Email*:
> dik...@library.ucla.edu

Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant
224-545-3897 (cell)