Hi Mary,

We've had open shelves in Media for the past 19 years (ever since our
library opened). We use LC classification, with some slight modifications
to make the feature films more browsable.

We then physically separate by format (based on physical format):

* VHS + DVD together (they can fit on the same shelves)
* Audio CDs & CD-Rom
* Laser Discs
* Audiocassettes
* Slides

Items whose supplements cannot fit in the container or on the shelf get an
item note in the catalog record & the supplements get put in filing
cabinets (also open to the users).

All our items (except slides) are tattle-taped. Our biggest problem w/
open shelves is the need to do regular and frequent shelf-reading to keep
things in order.

We also have this page to make it easier for patrons to find AV
http://library.ust.hk/guides/findav.html

Regards,

Victoria F. Caplan
HKUST Library
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
http://library.ust.hk