re: circ stats

At our library we stream licensed local TV shows and own-university
content. Our stats not only records what files are viewed, but also length
of view. We find that many last less than a minute, and very few over 10
minutes (15 minutes is about the length of a subject of a news segment).

I know that with physical items, we assume that one check-out means one
view, when the truth of the matter is that people may borrow and let it
sit on their shelf, or watch it for 5 minutes and say "this is boring".

However, I think that a lot of "hits" for a title may be a form of
browsing, since people do not read catalog records the same way that they
seem to read the blurbs and covers of a video they are deciding to choose
from in the stacks.

So I think that we must be careful and not compare exactly one-to-one
between stats for hits on a streaming video  and circ for hard-copy. I
guess it's similar to how I view stats for book circ vs. video circ.  The
novel "Pride and Prejudice" may have circulated 85 times in the last 15
years, whereas the DVD of the 1995 BBC version may have circulated 290
times - both of them are what I would call "very heavily used", although
the DVD has 3-times the circ.

Or, maybe I am stating the obvious. If so, please forgive me.

- Victoria Caplan
HKUST Library
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
http://library.ust.hk