Here's a scenario that I don't think we've run across before:

The library purchased a VHS video art tape from Electronic Arts
Intermix with the usual limited PPR.  A student wants to exhibit the
piece continuously as part of her MFA thesis show, and because an
exhibition copy with rights costs $900, the student is negotiating
with EAI for a lower price and permission to make a DVD copy of the
library's VHS tape.

Question:  Who needs the permission to make a copy?  The student or
the library?  Does it make a difference if the copy is made in-house
or outsourced?

The student is under the assumption that she can check out the $300
tape from the library and bring it to a video transfer shop.  If
permission to copy was not granted to the library, would the library
be infringing for allowing the student to copy its copy?

Thanks,

Janice Woo, Director of Libraries
California College of the Arts
5212 Broadway Oakland CA 94618