From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:33 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Another interesting copyright case

I don't have time to go through the differences between for instance Righthaven
(and this could not happen to nicer company, these people were trying to make a
living attacking people for so much as putting a sentence of an article in an
online post) and UCLA

Just out of curiosity Micheal, is it your belief that since colleges are non
profit/ educational it is legal for them to scan/digitize every book & film in
their collection and make it available online for students who are assigned the
material in a class?  That is pretty much the gist of the UCLA case and close
in Georgia State ( though to the best of my knowledge unlike UCLA they are not
trying to use long entire works such as compete novels or history books etc)

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Michael May