Hi Philip,

Several years ago I worked with our library web developer on producing
an in-house electronic form that our librarians could use to request
materials.  Once the form is completed and sent it goes to a  zlLIST
that is shared by Acquisitions staff so that any one of us can monitor
and pick up the requests.  Currently I'm the only one responsible for
pick-up.  If I'm out sick/vaction my supervisor takes over. The liaisons
also have the option of sending their requests directly to the zLIST
(though we greatly encourage using the form)   Right now 99.99% of all
incoming requests come to me electronically.  For the most part it's
been pretty successful. If you send me your email address off list I can
send you a couple of examples of what this looks like.

YBP is our principal book vendor and the library liaisons have direct
order access.  We also use YBP's  cataloging services.  Otherwise, I
place orders for the rest of the formats (except journals/e-journals)
and books that YBP can't get.  I don't use a video vendor because most
of the stuff I order is for reserve and/or  wanted "yesterday" so we get
it faster if I place the orders directly. Usually the liaison will
supply the link and/or the name of the video distributor, but it's not
uncommon for me to get a list of titles (especially for foreign DVDs)
that end up as cold searches on GOOGLE.  There are several video
clearing houses out there that cater to libraries which is especially
useful if you don't have access to a credit card.  In the past I've used
DVA, Midwest Tape, Movies Unlimited and Facets for feature films.  I've
heard good things about ACTION! Library Meda Service which can hand both
feature and documentary films on video.

You can contact me off list if you have any further questions.

Chris McN

Chris McNevins | ACQUISITIONS COORDINATOR
UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT | HOMER BABBIDGE LIBRARY
369 Fairfield Way Unit 2005AM | Storrs, CT 06269-2005 USA
PH: 860-486-3842 | FX: 860-486-6493 | EMAIL: chris.mcnev...@uconn.edu