Dear Debra,

Just a quick note that regular DVDs do indeed play in Blu-ray players and
there are several now that can play all regions of both. And in terms of
feature films, there is no comparison in quality. Blu-rays look
significantly better. So if you're playing a talking-head documentary on a
monitor, that's no big deal. But if you want to project Terence Malick's
DAYS OF HEAVEN on to a screen, the investment is fairly small in terms of
players and discs relative to the increased experience.

Best,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
email: milefi...@gmail.com
www.milestonefilms.com
www.ontheboweryfilm.com
www.arayafilm.com
www.exilesfilm.com
www.wordisoutmovie.com
www.killerofsheep.com
<http://www.killerofsheep.com>
AMIA Austin 2011: www.amianet.org
Join "Milestone Film" on Facebook!

Follow Milestone on Twitter! <http://twitter.com/#!/MilestoneFilms>

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Mandel, Debra <d.man...@neu.edu> wrote:

> Hi-
>
> What is the current  theory on whether it pays to be adding Blu-ray feature
> films, even when Blu-ray  isn't a campus wide standard, or  where there are
> not classrooms dedicated for cinema studies viewing.  (Northeastern has at
> least four Blu-Ray players available for reservation).   Also we have no
> Blu-ray players in the library yet.  I'd appreciate hearing about what folks
> are doing with this conundrum.  I am sure there have been conversations
> about this before, but I wasn't paying attention.  Unfortunately Blu-Ray
> players do not play regular DVDs, a major issue.
>
> I'd love to hear from you!
>
> Debra
>

> Debra H. Mandel,
> Head, Digital Media Design Studio