Gary,

Thanks for speaking on behalf of us librarians.

I wish there were a way to educate filmmakers and film distributors
about not only the legalities, but also the realities, of pricing for
the library market.

It's simple accounting: libraries can make more films accessible to
their patrons if the cost of the videos is low.  If the cost is high,
our budgets will accommodate far fewer purchases. So if a video is
expensive, it better be a stand out.

It's also a matter of what the market will bear.  If libraries
continue to pay $250 for a dvd instead of $29, why wouldn't sellers
ask us for the higher price?

And, yes, I've heard the song about filmmakers and distributors having
to make a living, but don't we all?  Libraries shouldn't be
responsible for subsidizing vendors; making resources available to our
patrons is what we're about.

Regards,
Janice Woo

>>> ghand...@library.berkeley.edu