From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Anthony Anderson
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 6:34 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Question about LC call numbers

Barbara! Just curious: Brokeback Mountain is categorized as an Asian film
because Ang Lee comes
from Taiwan.  Do you handle in the same manner all  the many films made by all
the many directors who have
come from abroad and  established themselves as Hollywood directors? Are Psycho
and Vertigo classed as British
films because Hitchcock came from the U.K.? The Apartment and Sunset Boulevard
classed as Polish cinema because
Billy Wilder was born in (what is now) Poland? And  all the American films
directed by Fred Zinnemann, Ernest Lubitsch, Fritz
Lang, Douglas Sirk, Otto Preminger, etc., etc.? I don't know but some people
might find it amusant that Zinnemann's quintessential
American musical Oklahoma! might be considered to be an Austrian movie...?

Just curious....

Cheers,
Anthony

Anthony E. Anderson
Social Studies and Arts & Humanities Librarian
Von KleinSmid Library
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0182
(213) 740-1190  antho...@usc.edu<mailto:antho...@usc.edu>