From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Logan, Michael
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:02 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Donuts, anyone?

I've had a DVD processing issue come up, and I'm curious what the custom
is among other libraries. Currently, we affix a small round "donut"
label to all of our DVDs, printed with the name of our library. We used
to hand-write our ownership information around the center of the disc,
but this became too labor-intensive, so we switched to the donuts.

Recently, a patron contacted us and informed us that these donut labels
had a tendency to peel off and cause mischief inside people's players.
This hadn't actually happened to her--it was anecdotal information she
was passing on, but she was concerned it would happen in the future.

No one has actually contacted us about any problems with these labels in
the six months or so we've been using them. What I'm wondering is:

1) How many of you use (or have used) similar "donut"-style labels on
your DVDs?
2) Approximately how long have you been using them?
3) Have you had any problems with them?

Any information will be very greatly appreciated--I don't want to
continue using labels that will damage anyone's machine, but I also
don't want to change our procedures unnecessarily, if this turns out to
be all smoke and no fire.

Thanks very much,

Michael Logan
Acquisitions and Technical Services