Hello, All.

Our library received a fairly large number of 8mm and 16mm films, along with some beta and 3/4" umatic videos. I have done a sweep of these some time ago to try to locate vhs or dvd formats to purchase. My question has to do with those I could not locate in another format to purchase.

Can we make dvd copies of these titles under Section 108, in either the Preservation or Replacement sections?

I understand that if we can make copies, the copies cannot circulate, but must be in-library use only.

Are there other restrictions involved?

Must we retain the original formats if copies are made? If so, why?

Is there somewhere these older formats could be sent so we don't just end up tossing them? (The cost of shipping may be prohibitive, given the weight of some of these films).

What have others done with these types of formats? We are getting tight on space and some decisions will have to be made regarding these older formats in the near future.

Thanks for any and all responses, they are very much appreciated!

Jeanne Little

Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa