We are beginning a renovation and expansion of our library and are at the point
where we are discussing with our architect storage for our various media - DVDs
(the collection is still growing), VHS (the collection is shrinking rapidly),
CDs (music and spoken word, not growing, and perhaps shrinking in size a bit),
and some audiocassettes that I can't convince faculty to give up.

If you were choosing shelving or cabinets for these materials, what would you
select?

Currently, our media collection is accessible to browsers.  VHS and DVDs are
stored on shelves; CDs in a cabinet, with overflow on a shelf, along with the
audiotapes, next to the cabinet.  The DVDs remain in their original cases, a
practice we started about 4 years ago and one that increased use of them.
Before that, we placed all DVDs in plain black plastic cases.  VHS are in plain
blue plastic cases.  The CDs are little used, except for the ones on the
shelves.  We want to make the collection as visible to our patrons as we can.

If collection size matters, we have about 3000 DVDs, 750 VHS tapes, 1200 CDs,
and 50 audiotape sets.

We see this as an opportunity to market our collection better, so want to make
the right decision for storage.

Many thanks for your suggestions!!!

Cynthia Steinhoff
Anne Arundel Community College