Apologies for cross-posting.

We have 3M equipment for sensitizing and desensitizing 3M security
strips on VHS tapes and DVDs. We have security pass-through gates that
are supposed to go off if an item that goes through the gate has not
been desensitized, generally designed to prevent stealing.  I'm sure
many of you use the same kind of system.

Our DVDs and tapes very routinely set off the gates, even though the
materials have been checked out, and supposedly desensitized.  It is so
frequent that the folks watching the doors downstairs have quit stopping
people because "it happens all the time..." It does NOT, however, happen
with books going through the same gates, so thankfully, we are ruling
out the very expensive gates as the culprits.

We strip every DVD or VHS  in a case. I am trying to troubleshoot what
the issue could be before I declare it the desensitizer and have to buy
a new one.  I think it could be user error, the strips, maybe the
placement of the strips?, the cases (standard plastic), or the
desensitizer.  Has anyone else had this issue?  How did you troubleshoot
it?  What did you find that I could try?  Thanks very much for any
thoughts on this...jen

Jennifer Foster

Media Librarian

Victoria College/University of Houston-Victoria Library

361.570.4195

http://vcuhvlibrary.uhv.edu